Tuesday 19 January 2016

Aruba


Today we arrived in Aruba part of the "A,B,C" islands which were once part of the Dutch Antilles, the answer to the quiz question A,B,C is a=Aruba, b=Bonaire and c=CuraƧao. Because of its Dutch origins it feels quite different to the rest of the Caribbean in culture and landscape, it is very popular with Americans and a walk around the capital Oranjestad proves that very quickly, with Wendy's, Taco Bell and large shopping Malls and Chevrolet and Mack lorries on the road, they also try and ambush you by driving on the wrong side of the road. The weather today has been very changeable, sunny one minute raining the next, but at least the rain is warm. I bumped into my travelling companions whilst mooching around town, very British in the extreme armed with umbrellas in Hilary's case it was more petite and parasol like to also protect from the sun, but also designed to keep her "hair do" dry. At one point I thought she was going to break into a selection from "Mary Poppins" very Welsh, there's lovely. I have sweet memories of Aruba, Barbs and I visited it one our first ever cruise on Ocean Village 2 (A sadly missed ship and great crew) it was on her bucket list to the experience a cruise, it also got me hooked on cruising, plus we made friends with Bet & George plus the rest of the Newton le Willows Light Infantry. We hired a Harley Davidson motorcycle and bombed around the island (the bike was a hunk of junk) the experience was great and we often looked back on it with great affection, it made a great impression on both of us, even as I write these words I have a smile on my face, so as we sail away thanks for the memories Aruba, you will always be special and hold a place in my heart and a smile.

Spot someone on a stool in short shorts?




Add caption

Bar with interesting cigar homage to Bill Clinton

Arruba, the most modern Island, spot the Shopping Mall and spot the Hill



1 comment:

  1. I can picture you both bombing around on the bike :D such a lovely thought :Dx

    ReplyDelete